Sunday 27 October 2013

Instant Karma

Instant Karma's gonna get you
Gonna knock you off your feet
Better recognize your brothers

Everyone you meet
(John Lennon)

There has been a lot of talk in the last seven days about the word "loyalty". Most of it swirling around a certain autobiography that has come to light. Yes,I have read some of the more,shall we say,critical,chapters in it. I'm not saying this because I am a Liverpool fan and if it was a Liverpool ex-manager that brought a book out and started damning his ex-players in the public domain,I would feel let down. A dressing room is commonly known as one of the most sacred institutions in sports.What is said in there,stays in there. Unless youre Davy Fitz. I know some Man Utd fans that are let down - and naturally some are blinkered that the author can still do no wrong whatever he says or does. And that's not a dig. There are fans like that with every team. Is it why I am not as avid a football devotee that I once was? Perhaps (veering on yes).

But there was a time where loyalty was rewared in a short-term measure but had long-term effects. For me,anyway. When we were in secondary school,part of a French assignment (for extra marks) was to write to a French business or company asking about them and basically looking for brochures. I went home thinking "Who the fuck am I going to write to? In French?" I stuck on Eurogoals (which was basically like a continental version of Match Of The Day) and then saw who I was going to write to. The famous football team Paris Saint-Germain. I had been watching them for years. They had real quality. Rai. Leonardo. Lama. Loko. They later brought in some lads called Ronaldinho,Anelka,Beckham and Ibrahimovic. I think they did ok for themselves. So I got the bright idea of asking them for brochures on the stadium,the facilities,fan clubs,what have you. The letter I wrote may have had a few pronouns out of place but I'd like to think that added to the charm of it all (!) They had the teacher even took us to the post office to make sure we sent the letters off! No spoiled voting or 0 points here!! Two weeks later I got this big massive envelope. Inside was a brochure on the club,the squad but the coup de grace (see what I did there) was a thank you letter from one of the clubs directors. Say hello to an A in French and a PSG fan for life after that.

To me,loyalty is very important. You're good to someone,they are good to you. That should be the case in everyday life anyway,but that isn't always the case as we all know.If you go by horoscopes,and sometimes I may pass an eye over them,I,as a Libra,tend to be loyal. Now if the horoscope says that,it must be true,right?! (Okay I googled "Libra" and "loyal" but same result!) You have to be good to yourself too,and I have been guilty of not being at times,especially when deep in thought over this that and the other. Basically being tough on myself. I have eased up on that. These days (ok tonight!),being good to myself is having a blackberry Lemsip and chatting to my other half. Sensibility? I'd like to think so!


No comments:

Post a Comment