Monday 16 December 2013

Ready For My Closeup


Good evening from the safe confines of my suburban Limerick room. I'm currently typing this listening to the rain clashing off the window like it's going out of fashion. Are they filming Angela's Ashes 2 - The Revenge outside? No. At least I hope they're not anyway. I glance across social media and I see talk about a musical erm talent show where half the contestants mime (they did tonight I hear) and then there is our fearless political leader giving a state of the nation address telling us things we already knew and/or predicted. Am I watching these things as they happen? God no. Life (and my hypertension) is too short.

Now look,I know that there are some things out there that I'm not entirely crazy about,but it works both ways. Variety is the spice of life,right? You might adore some music and/or tv shows that I might abhor and probably would. But that's ok. If we were all the same,it'd be a very boring world. I was tidying my room a bit today (it was raining) and I gathered a pile of Blurays and put them into a big box. As I admired my new found Feng Shui skills I realised that I hadn't watched half of what was in the box. I suppose life gets in the way. Not that I'm complaining,I'm in steady enough employment and in a very content relationship. So my time to suspend reality is limited and when I have free time,it usually revolves around films that I might find groundbreaking but you might look at for two minutes and just go "No. Just no."

One in particular is a film that was made here. No,not in Limerick but if it was it'd be as popular as Taffin. (For those that haven't seen Taffin,I'll be around after the blog to explain) It was filmed (and I use that term generously) in Trim,Co.Meath. I know what's going through your mind. And yes,I know that Braveheart was a fine epic,but that's not the one I'm on about.



Enter:




Say hello to Ireland's one (and only) martial arts movie Fatal Deviation. Where the one single solitary stunt in the film that constituted any degree of special effects or CGI involved a car crashing on a straight road (no,really) and the car blowing up which could have killed the lead actor as he kicked his way out of the soon to be fireball. Did I mention this film also stars Mikey Graham? No? Ok.
Because it does. And it's clear to see that our Mikey filmed his scenes in half a day. If you're curious/bored/braggadocious - watch this. If you're still talking to me after,we'll compare notes. Deal?

You may be suprised to know that film was never shown on RTE. Or Sky. or Netflix. See a pattern emerging here? Yup. It does fall into the so bad,it's good category. Here is another barely coherent clip from said eyesore:


Yes,somewhere in Ireland,there is such a thing as "Beat Up My Men Week".

****************** INTERMISSION LETS ALL GO TO THE LOBBY ********************



As bad as that was,I am sure there are far far worse. That would just descend into another debate on what film is more stomach churning than the next,so I won't go into that otherwise we'd be here until next Christmas. So I am going to select another film that has its detractors to say the least.
I give you "The Room"

This film was funded by writer/star/director/undecipherable accent laden visionary that is Tommy Wiseau. Tommy spent $6m on this. You wouldn't think it looking at it. People label it as "The Citizen Kane of bad movies". Consider the bar hereby raised. The film has barely a plot and the plot it has just veers off on to more tangents than I care to recall. What makes things even more peculiar is that it plays to now sold out monthly screenings across the world for the cult status it now has. I wont go into too much detail - I will let the youtube clips tell their own story.
Here is probably its most quotable piece. Incoherency incoming!!


And here is another faux pas. Spot the obvious breakdown in logic here!


Speaking of breakdowns,here is Johnnys (mild spoilerage)


And pushing the spoiler boundaries here...the FIGHT SCENE(with one of the most bizarre taunts ever....)


Again you may be as equally shocked to know that it has not been televised. But its out on Bluray so it has one up on Trim's finest already. I'm sure for every Godfather or Scarface,there are a hundred Fatal Deviations or Rooms. But I'm sure that's what is the unique thing about them all. Just nod and smile whenever an obscure line from them is muttered - it makes life a lot easier!

**********************************FIN*********************************************************


No comments:

Post a Comment